If you think someone you know has a drugs/alcohol problem, there are lots of ways you can help them. 

As well as the NHS, there are charities and private drug and alcohol treatment organisations that can help them. 


Are they in immediate danger? If they are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can call 999 (or 112 from a mobile).  If you are on campus, you should tell Security (01483 683333) that the emergency services are on their way and give details of their location. Stay with the individual and reassure them help is on the way. 

Find a safe space: if an incident has just happened, try and find somewhere they feel safe. If you are on campus and this isn't possible, you can suggest they call Security on 01483 683333.


Listen: just taking the time to listen to someone and talk about what has happened can help. These six active listening tips might help you support them.

Give options: when they have finished talking ask them if they are ok to talk through some possible options and next steps.

Security: our Security team can talk through how to make a report and what support is available.

University of Surrey Students’ Union (USSU) can talk students through what options are available.

Trade unions are organised groups of workers who come together to support each other in the workplace. The University of Surrey recognises three campus trade unions (Unison, UCU and Unite) and encourages all employees to become members.


Report and Support: students and staff can report an incident using the University’s Report and Support system. They can choose to do this anonymously or request support from a member of staff. The University takes every report seriously and carefully considers what action to take.

Report a Wellbeing Concern is a quick and easy way to let us know about a concern that you have for a University of Surrey student. It can be completed by anyone including other students, family, friends and staff. 


Get support

Mental Health and wellbeing

1 in 4 people are affected by a mental health problem in any year and it is estimated that around 1 in 5 people have contemplated suicide or self-harm.

If you are worried or concerned about someone, find out more about how you can help them.

Take care of yourself: it’s important that you take care of yourself. If you’ve heard something distressing or if something is troubling you, the University's Centre for Wellbeing offers confidential help and is open to both students and staff free of charge. 

There are two ways you can tell us what happened