1 in 4 people are affected by a mental health problem in any year and it is estimated that around 1 in 5 people have contemplated suicide or self-harm. 

There may be several reasons which cause you to become concerned about a student, friend or colleague's mental health and wellbeing. They might be acting differently, seem low, worried or stressed, or you might be concerned about their general wellbeing. 


Are they in immediate danger? If you think someone is at immediate risk of hurting themselves or someone else call 999 and ask for an ambulance. If you are on campus, call Security on 01483 68 3333. Tell them an ambulance is on the way and give details of your location. Stay with them and reassure them help is on the way. 

High Risk Warning Signs: the NHS provides details on some of the warning signs for suicide and self-harm. 

What is mental wellbeing? It might be useful to think about what mental wellbeing is and some of the types of mental health problems people can experience. 

Stigma and mental health: Time to Change. The way you act towards someone with a mental illness can change their life; by opening up to mental health you can make a real difference. Find out more on the Time to Change website. 


Listen: just taking the time to listen to someone and talk can help. These six active listening tips might help you support them. 

Tell the person you are concerned: if they are not at immediate risk, encourage them to get support and consider helping them to make the initial contact. 

Time to Change: too many people can be left in situations where they feel isolated, ashamed and worthless. Time to Change is a movement that seeks to challenge this. They believe by joining together, we can make sure that more people are open to talking and listening about mental health problems than ever before. 

Report and Support. Students and staff can report that they worried about someone else’s mental health and wellbeing by using the University’s Report and Support system.

Report a Wellbeing Concern is a quick and easy way to let us know about a concern that you have for a University of Surrey student. It can be completed by anyone including other students, family, friends and staff. 

Centre for Wellbeing: if the person is not in immediate danger but you are still worried about them, you can contact the counselling service for advice. 

Get support 

Take care of yourself: it’s important that you take care of yourself. If you’ve heard something distressing or if something is troubling you, the Centre for Wellbeing offers confidential help and is open to students.

The Employee Assistance Programme, BHSF RISE, gives staff access to free personalised, on-demand advice and support from a team of mental health, financial and legal experts, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.


There are two ways you can tell us what happened