Letting us know you need help is perfectly normal. 
We believe that all students and staff at the University of Surrey should be able to talk freely about their mental health and wellbeing. 


Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can call 999 (or 112 from a mobile).  If you are on campus, you should tell Security (01483 683333) that the emergency services are on their way and give details of your location.  


To a friend or family member: talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help. 

Centre for Wellbeing: the University of Surrey has a Centre for Wellbeing (CWB) which offers a range of services to ensure that students feel well and supported throughout their time at the University. 

The CWB are a multidisciplinary team experienced in supporting and advising those with a range of mental health, emotional or psychological conditions. The team is comprised of:

  • Wellbeing advisers (including mental health nurses, general nurses, a social worker and an eating disorder specialist) 
  • Counsellors 

CWB support is free and confidential and ranges from a consultation with a counsellor, to referral to appropriate outside agencies, through to liaison and coordination of individuals with severe and enduring mental health issues. 
The CWB also have a team of multi-faith chaplains who are happy to listen and support students and staff. You can also visit the Quiet Centre for prayer, meditation and contemplation (open weekdays, 8am–6pm) or email chaplaincy@surrey.ac.uk.

The Employee Assistance Programme, BHSF RISE, gives staff access to free personalised, on-demand advice and support from a team of mental health, financial and legal experts, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Security: our Security team can talk through how to make a report and what support is available. 

University of Surrey Students Union (USSU) will be able to outline a range of support available to students. 

Trade unions are organised groups of workers who come together to support each other in the workplace. The University of Surrey recognises three campus trade unions (Unison, UCU and Unite) and encourages all employees to become members. 


Report and Support. Students and staff can report an incident using the University’s Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can request support from a member of staff. 

Get support 


There are two ways you can tell us what happened