A reliance or addiction to alcohol or drugs can seriously damage your mental health, but there is support available. 

Alcohol and drugs are powerful substances that can have a negative impact on your mental health. Learn more 

If you regularly drink or take drugs you can become dependent on them. Drinking or taking drugs can also affect your mental health, resulting in mood changes, loss of motivation, anxiety, depression and in some cases hallucinations or episodes of psychosis. Learn more 

Some people use alcohol or drugs to help them deal with mental health problems, this is called self-medication. While it may offer temporary relief, regularly using alcohol or drugs could be creating another problem. 


Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can call 999 (or 112 from a mobile).  If you are on campus, you should tell Security (01483 68 3333) that the emergency services are on their way and give details of your location.  

Find a safe space.  If an incident has just happened, try and find somewhere you feel safe. If you are on campus and this isn't possible you can call Security on 01483 68 3333. 

What is drug/alcohol abuse/addiction? It might be useful to think about what is meant by drugs/alcohol abuse/addiction. 


To a friend or family member: talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help. 

Centre for Wellbeing: the University of Surrey has a Centre for Wellbeing (CWB) which offers a range of services to ensure that students feel well and supported throughout their time at the University. 

The CWB are a multidisciplinary team experienced in supporting and advising those with a range of mental health, emotional or psychological conditions. The team is comprised of:

  • Wellbeing advisers (including mental health nurses, general nurses, a social worker and an eating disorder specialist) 
  • Counsellors 

CWB support is free and confidential and ranges from a consultation with a counsellor, to referral to appropriate outside agencies, through to liaison and coordination of individuals with severe and enduring mental health issues. 
The CWB also have a team of multi-faith chaplains who are happy to listen and support students and staff. You can also visit the Quiet Centre for prayer, meditation and contemplation (open weekdays, 8am–6pm) or email chaplaincy@surrey.ac.uk

Security: our Security team can talk through how to make a report and what support is available. 

University of Surrey Students Union (USSU) will be able to outline a range of support available to students.

The Employee Assistance Programme, BHSF RISE, gives staff access to free personalised, on-demand advice and support from a team of mental health, financial and legal experts, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Trade unions are organised groups of workers who come together to support each other in the workplace. The University of Surrey recognises three campus trade unions (Unison, UCU and Unite) and encourages all employees to become members. 


Report and Support. Students and staff can report an incident using the University’s Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can request support from a member of staff. 

Get support 

Find out what support is available if you are having drugs/alcohol problems. 


There are two ways you can tell us what happened