If you think someone you know has been discriminated against, there are lots of ways in which you can help them. 


Listen: just taking the time to listen to someone and talk about what has happened can help. These six active listening tips might help you to support them. 

Give options: when they have finished talking, ask them if they are ok to talk through some possible options.  

Security: our Security team can talk through how to make a report and what support is available. 

University of Surrey Students Union (USSU) can talk through what options are available and support students through the process. This support includes checking draft complaints and attending any meetings with the University. 

Trade unions are organised groups of workers who come together to support each other in the workplace. The University of Surrey recognises three campus trade unions (Unison, UCU and Unite) and encourages all employees to become members. 


Police: Some forms of discrimination might also break criminal law, in which case you can report to police. If you want to report directly to the police you can call 101 which is the non-emergency telephone number (staffed 24/7). You can also call 101 to get support or advice. 

Report and Support: students and staff can report an incident using the University’s Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can request support from a member of staff.

Report a Wellbeing Concern is a quick and easy way to let us know about a concern that you have for a University of Surrey student. It can be completed by anyone including other students, family, friends and staff. 

Get support 

Take care of yourself: it’s important that you take care of yourself. If you’ve heard something distressing or if something is troubling you, the University's Centre for Wellbeing offers confidential help and is open to students free of charge.  


There are two ways you can tell us what happened