Discrimination can have a huge impact on your life and wellbeing. What has happened is not your fault and you're not alone. You can access specialist support, if and whenever you feel ready.

Get support 

Mental Health and Wellbeing

1 in 4 people are affected by a mental health problem in any year and it is estimated that around 1 in 5 people have contemplated suicide or self-harm.

Take care of yourself: it’s important that you take care of yourself. If you’ve heard something distressing or if something is troubling you, the University's Centre for Wellbeing offers confidential help and is open to students. 


To a friend or family member: talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help. 

Security: our Security team can talk through how to make a report and what support is available. 

The University of Surrey Students Union (USSU) can talk students through what options are available and support them through the process. This support includes checking draft complaints and attending any meetings with the University.

Trade unions are organised groups of workers who come together to support each other in the workplace. The University of Surrey recognises three campus trade unions (Unison, UCU and Unite) and encourages all employees to become members.


Police: Some forms of discrimination might also break criminal law, in which case you can report to police. If you want to report directly to the police you can call 101 which is the non-emergency telephone number (staffed 24/7). You can also call 101 to get support or advice. 

Report and Support: students and staff can report an incident using the University’s Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can request support from a member of staff. If you choose to report with your contact details, a member of staff will be able to talk through the options and support available to you.

Get support 


There are two ways you can tell us what happened